The interactive tool RE2nAF (Renewable Energies for Rural Electrification of Africa) enables geographically based exploratory analysis for off-grid electricity production options in Africa. It overlays population features (settlements), infrastructure (transmission electricity grids, roads), national boundaries together with renewable energy resources (for the moment limited to solar but going to be extended for including other renewable resources). The user can easily get a first impression about the spatial distribution of the demand; density of the road network; estimated travel time to major cities or the status of the existing power plants in a particular area/region.
It includes information on:
- Settlements: more than 6700, with estimated population data for 2010
- Electricity grid: more than 230,000 km in 46 countries
- Power plants: more than 900 in 54 countries, almost 200GW
- Global irradiation data
- Diesel based electricity cost: for 2008, 2010 and 2012
- PV based electricity cost: estimated for 8 module prices (from 0.75 to 2.5€/Wp)
RE2nAF is completely Web based and requires no specialized software or plug-ins.