- 3 workshops: Kampala, Ouagadougou and Cape Town
- 13 trainers (7 Africans, 6 EU) from UNIDO, 2iE, KNUST, CIFRES, TTA, Omega Investment, University of Cape Town.
- 16 theoretical sessions (solar, PV Lab, hydro, bio-energy, micro-finance, wind, rural electrification,…); 4 hands-on sessions; 3 field visits.
- 93 participants from 30 countries
A series of 3 regional workshops have been organized by JRC in the framework of the AFRETEP project, providing training on state-of-the-art rural electrification technologies to almost 100 participants from 30 African countries.
The focus of each workshop was decided together with the host university, seeking the fit between the training and expertise we could provide with their needs and interests.
The list of the regional workshops along with their topics are as follows:
- AFRETEP 1st Regional Workshop: East Africa. It took place in Kampala, Uganda, from 3rd to 7th October 2011 with the support of Centre of Research in Energy and Energy Conservation of the Makerere University. Regional topics: Social-economic aspects, Mini Hydro projects and Photovoltaic technology and mapping.
- AFRETEP 2nd Regional Workshop: West Africa. It took place in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, from 7th-11th November 2011 with the support of Foundation 2iE. Regional topics: Biomass and Photovoltaic technology and mapping.
- AFRETEP 3rd Regional Workshop: Southern Africa. It took place in Cape Town, South Africa, from 20th -24th February 2012with the support of the Energy Research Centre, University of Cape Town. Regional topics: financial schemes, photovoltaic technology-mapping and poverty reduction through rural electrification.
All the sessions were recorded, edited and finally made available to the AFRETEP community as a virtual workshop and are available here.
Join the AFRETEP platform! (information on ‘HOW TO’ become a member)