European CFL Quality Charter

PDF version

The European Commission together with several national energy agencies and public and private organisations is promoting end-use energy efficiency and conservation as a key component of the EU energy policy and the common goal of reducing climate change. As indicated in DELight study1: “Electric lighting is used in practically all households throughout Europe and represents a key component of peak electricity demand in many countries. There is already a well developed energy-efficient technology available on the market, in the form of compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs), that could deliver substantial savings. Such savings could be accessed quickly due to the rapid turnover of light bulbs in the stock - the challenge is to get the more efficient technology installed and guarantee the savings.” Total domestic lighting consumes about 86 TWh in the Union and it is predicted to raise to 102 TWh by 2020. Compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) use at least 60% less electricity than the traditional incandescent lamps while lasting ten to twelve times as long and can therefore deliver substantial savings in terms of both electricity and money.

Therefore the development of the market for CFLs, is an important effort to increase energy efficiency and reduce CO2 emissions in the European Union. In fact, CFLs and other  energy efficient technologies are of increasing importance in light of their positive environmental and economic consequences. It has been calculated that the impact of a wide spread use of CFLs in European households could reduce the emissions with one of the totally eight percentage-units that EU-15 agreed upon in Kyoto.

CFLs represent only 5% of the lamp market in the residential sector. There is still much to do to capture a large part of the remaining 95 % of the market. The availability of good quality products is an essential part together with the availability of societal resources in programmes to make customers aware of their energy efficiency and to subsidise their entry into the market. Such support has been given by governments, municipalities, utilities.

Visit the Residential Lighting Document section to download the Charter(s).